Quinoa & kale stuffed sweet potatoes
My mom sent me back to Denver with a bag of sweet potatoes. So I give you:
Quinoa & Kale Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
(via Leslie Durso)
- 4 sweet potatoes (washed & poked)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. butter or substitute (I recommend Melt)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups kale, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds (I didn’t use this because I didn’t have any)
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped (I added this)
- 1/4 cup (plus) dried cranberries
- salt and pepper
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 1 hours or until fork tender.
- While they are cooking, make your filling. Cook the quinoa in the vegetable broth. And while that is cooking, saute the onion and mushroom in the butter and olive oil with a pinch of salt until soft. Add in the kale, almonds, and cranberries and saute until the kale is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the finished quinoa to the frying pan and mix together.
- Either place on top of of baked, halved sweet potatoes or scoop out the sweet potatoes and eat with it. (I tried to figure out what was shown in the picture to no avail).
This is a very simple dinner, but a bit time consuming because the sweet potatoes take an hour to bake. I made this last night for my friend Teel while we got started on a Lord of the Rings movie marathon to prepare for the upcoming Hobbit release. It was tasty! Cooking the quinoa in vegetable broth made it so much tastier, I don’t know why I haven’t always been doing that. Perfect compliment to the sweet yams.
Realism: I forgot to turn off the oven after I grabbed my two yams. The yams like, shrunk and liquified. But still edible. And of course I didn’t really measure everything appropriately. I didn’t want a puddle of vegetable broth left over so I made extra quinoa.
Ps. Guilty of taking those pictures with my phone. Sorry! Would have been obnoxious to get out my nice camera and take pictures.