- Guillermo del Toro Shares 14 Creative Insights From His Spectacular Cabinet Of Curiosities Sketch Book (via Co.Create). This was interesting to me, I knew nothing of the artist and I was like: “oh yeah, those monsters in movies have to be thought up by someone.”
- Your new brand’s logo cannot be hip. Great article wagging the finger at trendy logos. Logos aren’t meant to follow trends, they are supposed to be timeless. Besides that, they are, in theory, supposed to represent the uniqueness of the company. So what does it say when your logo looks like everyone else’s?
- Pro Tip: Don’t Use Teetotaling Reverends In Booze Ads (via Co.Create). Importance of design research, amirite?
- Creatures collected for animal logo zoo. I think this is so neat! I would love to get my hands on this book.
- Alleged Design Pirate Cody Foster Is Only Sorry They Were Caught (Co.Design). This is completely reprehensible behavior. Shame shame. And shame on our reliance on stores like Antrhopologie. Why aren’t we just buying from the artists themselves?
- Smart Transitions In User Experience Design. I agreed with this. It’s about showing movement in space during transitions rather than abrupt page refreshes.
- Make Your Own Computer For $99 (via Co.Design). This might go under technology & design as well. It’s a really beautiful little machine. I have been thinking more about making design for everyone, not just the people with iphones who want new apps. So this seemed like the perfect little thing to come about.
- Swedish cinemas take aim at gender bias with Bechdel test rating. So much good! It’s so sad that: “two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man” isn’t in most of our movies, even the our “classics.”
- Naked artist nails himself to Red Square in protest. Yikes! Read to find out what part of “himself” they’re talking about.
- Queen’s beloved corgis ‘becoming endangered’. #IMPORTANT! To be fair, it might just be the number of registered corgis that are declining, but I’m still highly alarmed.
- High School In Portland Votes Same Sex Couple Homecoming ‘Princess And Princess’. Awwww.
SCEINCE & TECHNOLOGY
- New Mammal Species Olinguito Discovered By Smithsonian. Isn’t that incredible?! That we’re still finding completely new mammals? This isn’t just tiny bacteria in the deep sea, this is in-your-face-fuzzy mammals we’re talking about. We have to stop destroying the environment, who knows how many animals we’re threatening. What if there are wild corgis somewhere?!?!?!
- Coffee Maker Cooking: Brew Up Your Next Dinner (via NPR). I mean, cooking a nearly-balanced meal via coffee maker is just worth noting.
- Dove – ‘Camera Shy’ commercial. It’s kind of like…Dove has some hit and miss moments, but this was pretty cute.
- The Monster Engine: Children’s Drawings Painted Realistically. Also cute…in idea. I guess the monsters themselves are pretty gross.
- Miscellaneous: “Colorized” historical photos sweep the web. Who has time for that? But thank you!
- The Single Greatest Way to Make a Subway Conductor’s Day (via Mashable). Pretty cute little video of during a little something for someone else. A clever way to be nice to a stranger.
- Michael Galinsky’s Malls Across America book sheds light on shoppers that defined 1980s. YES.
- Is Working On Weekends The Secret To A Successful, Happy Work-Life Balance? (Fast Company). I don’t know how I feel about this. You’ll have to read and decide.
- The Art Of Doing Everything (via FastCo). Little article with a quiz of your different work modes (I was the procrastinator, obvs). What I liked most about this little article, besides the illustrations, was that it recommended productivity apps for each kind of worker you are.